Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ricavito Ricavito is offline

Default tomatoes!

On Nov 1, 10:44*am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Ricavito" > wrote in message

> > We had a boatload of tomatoes from the garden this year, mainly meaty
> > Romas and a few Mortgage Lifters and Better Boys. *I've been drying
> > them with a vengance all summer, sealing them in plastic bags, and
> > freezing. *I put up 3 pints in olive oil. I dipped the dried tomatoes
> > in boiling vinegar, put them in sterilized glass jars, covered them
> > with a very good EVOO, and put them in a dark corner of the pantry. *I
> > opened the first jar on Friday, chopped up a handful, and put them on
> > a salad of homegrown greens and fresh cheese. *We're still alive
> > today, and so I guess the tomato preserve method is safe, LOL. *I am
> > keeping the opened jar in the fridge though.

> > Late harvest green tomatoes I've heard can be ripened by wrapping them
> > individually in a bit of newspaper and putting them in the pantry.
> > I've heard it can take months, which would be just about the time I'd
> > be ready to kill for a good tasting fresh tomato.

> > It is football Sunday again, lol. *Today, I am making pot roast with a
> > piece of beef with lots of bones, roasting in a slow (275F) oven.
> > I'll pick out the bones and drain the oil off and put them back in a
> > hotter oven with some sliced carrot, celery, and onion. *Maybe some
> > sliced cabbage too. *I got a huge one at the farmers' market yesterday
> > for 75 cents.

> > I am also making tomato confit. *I sprinkled the last of the ripe
> > tomatoes with EVOO and some seasalt we collected from a family salt
> > farm in the old country and am roasting them in the slow oven with the
> > pot roast.

> > I don't know what I'm going to do with the confit though! *Before I
> > would have served it with a rustic bread. *Any ideas?

> Spread some brie on a Wasa cracker and top it with the tomatoes?
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
> heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Evelyn, that is a good suggestion and I would have tried it if
I'd had some brie and wasa, lol.... I do usually keep both.

I added garlic and fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, and bay leaves to
the roasting pan, and the confit came out really delicious, but maybe
a little too salty. I have a tendency to oversalt with the farmed
salt for some reason. The grains are really large, but it is too wet
to grind well.

I ended up tossing it with greens, some goat cheese, and walnuts and
warmed it to wilt the greens and get the cheese gooey--it was good!

I spent so many years eating convenience food because work kept me too
busy or on the road, and I never took the time to learn how to prepare
food. Now I'm trying to slow down, let it go, enjoy the present, just
be here now, you know :-). I like taking the time to cook slowly and
attentively. Who knows, I might be a good cook yet!