Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Substitute for Condensed Milk?

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >
> >> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> >> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> >> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> >> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> >> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> >> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> >> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
> >> in
> >> a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do bitter
> >> chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened chocolate?
> >>
> >> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> >> for a different treat.
> >>
> >> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> >> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> >> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
> >> just
> >> a few feet:-)
> >>

> > I use heavy cream and Splenda. I think what I did was look at the sugar
> > content on a can of condensed milk at the supermarket, and see what the
> > carb content was, and then worked backward, assuming that some of the
> > carbs were lactose in the milk.
> >

> If you have a low carb version of Key Lime pie, I would love to try it. It
> is a great favorite of my husband's.

Sorry, no. I do low carb pumpkin pie with the cream and Splenda, with a straight substitution in the recipe on the pumpkin can (well,
added Splenda, to account for the sweetness in the condensed milk).

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."