Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Sweet Potato Fries

On 31-Oct-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> >
> > When you deep fry yams, do you double cook them like french fries, a
> > partial
> > cook till they are limp, pull and rest, then finish in hotter oil?
> >
> > Not necessary for premade frozen fries, of course, those have already
> > been
> > partially cooked, but I wondered if the technique works for sweet
> > potato
> > fries too.
> >
> > MartyB

Yes but! The double fry technique is used to get rid of the excess
moisture in the potatoes that drags the oil temperature down. By
prefrying you get rid of much of the water leaving a potato that
is ready to be fried in hot oil. When re-introduced to the fryer
the temperature doesn't drop radically, thus allowing your food
to fry properly. Sweet potatoes don't contain nearly so much
water to begin with, so the benefit is less apparent. I'll still double
fry, but use shorter timing for sweet potatoes.

You of course are encouraged to do as you please. (YMMV)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)