Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Substitute for Condensed Milk?

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> I was watching I was watching America's Test Ktchen-Cooks Country today
> and they had a recipe for a key lime pie. It uses a large(14 oz) can of
> sweetened condensed milk in the filling. Much of the rest of the filling
> ingredients are easily made or are low carb friendly(lime juice, cream
> cheese, a little gelatin,a little vanilla pudding and some sugar). Have
> any of you ay idea how to make swweetened evaporated mlk to substitute.
> How much artificial sweetener would be needed and could you just mix it
> in a 14oz can or would you hae to reduce the amount of milk as you do
> bitter chocolate if you are making it a replacement for a sweetened
> chocolate?
>
> It might be fun to try this wit a nut, rather than a grahm cracker crust
> for a different treat.
>
> They also had a mile high lemon meringue pie with a custard I might use
> with regular meringue make with an artifcial sweetener-not the Italian
> meringue with sugar syrup that they used. It would not be mile high,
> just a few feet:-)

Googling on condensed milk substitutions seemed to give me dry milk powder
as a common ingredient. High lactose IIRC.

I'd try heavy cream and Sweeta. At worst, you'd have to add your
experiments to coffee and such (or send to me for disposal)!

Zei gezunt, Shvester!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061