Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] nailshooter41@aol.com[_2_] is offline

Default weight loss pork, beef

On Oct 30, 10:54*am, Tutall > wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:53*pm, Pierre > wrote:
>
> > 30-40% loss on both items would be typical.

> That seems on the high side for brisket which doesn't have the inner
> fat and water volume pork does. Do others concur with this percentage
> of loss for a packer cut brisket?>

The 30 - 40% concurs with my experiences on brisket. Whether it is
the pieces I pick out, or the way I cook it, usually my finished
brisket hits about the 25% less than starting weight mark.

However, I trim down to about 1/4" fat all the way around, and cut off
all the hard stuff before I apply rub or smoke. So I might be cutting
off a half pound or so of fat or more on a 15# brisket before it ever
sees the pit.

That would raise it back up to about +/- 30% if I was actually
calculating from the original package weight.

Of course, each piece of meat is different, but that seems the norm
for me.

Robert