Old 29-10-2009, 12:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default more food tourism

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:45:29 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

Another minor update on my allegedly food-driven
travels.

(I tried to email an earlier version of this report
to Christine but due to failed web-email interfaces
I think it never got there.)

As per plan, we flew to Milan and my dining partner
drove us to Parma where we ate at the bio-energetic
restaurant "Aprito Sesamo". It was quite a wonderful
meal, a fixed seven course menu.

The hoped for one-hour drive from Linate to Parma
didn't quite work out, as we were half way to
Parma before we actually found the autostrada...
I was navigating by compass (which ultimately
works, but incrementally).

Originally, we were going to spend the next three
days without planned itinerary in Tuscany. But
my ever-thoughful partner had a brainstrom and
suggested we immediately proceed to outside of
Assisi and stay at a biofarm there. This worked
out splendidly; we cut around Tuscany (sniff, sniff)
by heading nearly to Rimini before taking the beautiful E45
over the mountains towards Perugia. So although
a white truffle experience was not to be, this time,
we had an excellent black truffle experience in town;
but in house at the farm was farm-local olive oil, eggs, fresh
pasta, boar salami, sagratino wine, and oregano, upland
cress, and thyme from the garden, and some good cheese and
a Sagratino wine (I think I already said that), all of which
we happily prepared for ourselves in our little self-catering
farm unit.

There was a discussion of are fresh farm eggs
better ... the answer is yes, for poached eggs.

The next phase involved and equally moutnainous
drive, part through a valley (the Valerina?) which
has changed but half a naugt in centuries; and
then dropping down to sora where our next biostay
is. We have just arrived so more later...

This is sounding wonderful. It's the type of Italian vacation my son
in law would love. He wanted to spend 6 months on some type of farm
in Italy a couple of years ago. Take pictures and post ASAP!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.