Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Deep fryer oil

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:58:22 -0700 (PDT), --Bryan >
wrote:

>On Oct 27, 3:05*am, Damaeus > wrote:
>> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>> posted:
>>
>> > I bought a deep fryer a few yers ago, used it once, and never again,
>> > as it took so much oil and I didn't know if you could reuse it or how
>> > to store it. So, can you reuse th eoil, and how should it be stored?
>> > Thanks.

>> One thing I do want to do is get something that I can use to strain the
>> crumbs out of the oil so I can fry things without the little black crumb
>> speckles getting on things like french fries. *Oil won't flow through a
>> paper towel, and I think I remember trying a dishcloth once, but that just
>> let oil drip through slowly. *I have a strainer I use for draining pasta
>> and potatoes, but I think the screen mesh on it has holes that are too big
>> to keep the crumbs and allow the oil to flow through.

Much simpler to pour the used oil into a metal can and let it rest for
a day, the particulates will settle to the bottom, meanwhile clean
your fryer. Then without stirring carefully ladle the clear oil back
into the deep fryer and discard the remaining particulate laden
portion, you'd see when you reach the dirty oil. I save used oil and
fat drippings in a cardboard juice/milk container in my freezer, in
winter it gets tossed outside for the birds. For the quantities of
deep frying oil used in a home kitchen straining to salvage the last
dregs is pretty silly and straining doesn't remove any fetid
odor/taste... use fresh oil for mild flavored foods like
spuds/fritters, next use it for mid range items like chicken, last use
it for fish... you don't want to use fat for frying more than three
times anyway. Commercial establishments that do a lot of deep fat
frying, like fast food joints, have banks of large commercial fryers
all connected to a single filtration system that operates
continuously. The filtration system incorporates sensors that
indicate when it's time to discard the oil, then it is all pumped into
large containers and is picked up by whoever has the contract for
discarded oil... typically animal food companies add it to their dried
foods. I don't do much deep frying anymore, it's too troublesome and
the oil usually costs more than the food being fried.... it's easier
to eat out for those kinds of foods... and I don't eat deep fried
foods more than a few times a year anyway... I've learned to enjoy
oven roasted potatoes more than french fries... slice spuds into thin
wedges, toss with just enough oil to coat lightly, add s n'p and place
one layer deep in a large pan and roast until all puffy, crisp, and
golden brown... I gaurantee they're better than any fries from
commercial eateries these days... now they all use the same frozen
pre-fried fries you can buy at the stupidmarket.

London broil w/oven roasted spuds:
http://i35.tinypic.com/34pfer4.jpg