Isaac Wingfield

Default Recipe : All-corn cornbread

In article >,
"Ronni" > wrote:

> I'm looking forward to trying your recipe for corn bread...I just have one
> question....
> Do you have any suggestions for baking with a glass pan? I have the 9 inch
> square and the traditional 'cake' pan in glass, they are both heavy but not
> near a cast iron weight. Should I do anything different or try a whole
> different recipe? I have never made my own cornbread but would love to. I
> love corn bread and the mixes and store bought jsut isn't what I want in
> cornbread. thanks

Sorry, but no, I don't. I have owned two cast iron skillets for so long
I can't remember when I got them; the other two came along later.

You don't need to try a different recipe, but you might need to make
some baking time adjustments to allow for the difference between glass
and iron. Check the stuff with a toothpick and don't overcook it, as
it'll get dry.

You can even make the recipe in a thin aluminum cake pan; you just won't
get as nice a crust on the sides and bottom.

One thing that characterizes "real" southern cornbread is the fact that
it contains no sugar at all; every mix I have ever seen has sugar as an
ingredient.

I've even eaten (that is, *tried* to eat, in northern places),cornbread
with cinnamon in it!

But, you know, you *really should* have at least one cast iron skillet.

Isaac