Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: "old" Haut Medoc, young Burg pink, QbA, 2nd of DDC

Betsy had a late rehearsal Saturday, so I was in charge of dinner. I
did a few minor tweaks to a pot roast recipe (bok choy stems for
celery, red wine for broth, etc), when she got home we sat down to a
first course of lobster salad, then pot roast, salad, and a mature
(very mature) Cru Bourgeois.

But first off, the cooking wine, the 2006*L'Esprit*de Chevalier
(Pessac-Leognan), purchased for $5 in a Zachys case sale. Actually
surprisingly solid, dark fruit with a little vanilla and some tannins.
Decent length, ok Graves, but fine value at the ludicrous price, and I
wish I had bought more. B

With the lobster, the 2008 Gunderloch Dry Riesling QbA. Yellow fruit,
strong ginger element, good acidity, hint of sweetness. Good for
level. B

With the dinner, the 1970 Cantemerle (Haut Medoc) from half bottle.
OK, this should be long dead, but it was $10 on winebid with good
fill,etc. OK, let's see. Red plums, soy, cedar. The red fruit has a
bit of a caramel/prune edge to it, this has probably seen better days,
but the fruit is still fruit, there's nice palate presence, and the
finish ain't bad. Probably "objectively" this is a B-, but I'll give
it a B, for lasting so well in it's pint-sized (well, almost)
package.

Today I had a meeting, between prep, transport, and actual meeting, it
was probably an 8 hour Sunday. Came home to find Betsy had made an old
favorite, chicken bouillabaisse (a fricasee with Pernod, fennel, etc).
I like rose with this, and apparently I especially like the 2008 Bart
Marsannay rose. Strawberries and cherries, just a hint of bitter
herbs, nice length, bright acids, Wine of the Weekend! B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**