Posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected] jj@unspameljefe.net is offline

Default "Great Wine Capital" of the World

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:17:24 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine Capital" of
>the World.
>
>Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled to one
>only.
>
>Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown, Florence, Mainz,
>Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San Francisco - Napa Valley.
>
>The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295 wineries,
>encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the north as far south as
>Central Otago, 400km south.
>
>I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted" shortly.

Strictly marketing BS. Reminds me of Seattle's "Emerald City" (pay no
attention to that tourism board guy behind the curtain). Even worse is
a campaign they tried two years ago -- "Seattle - It's Metronatural."

OKG. Flopped like a dying carp at low tide!

Then there nearby Tacoma, a city known historically for its "aroma."
The stench from its pulp mills used to drift all over the Puget Sound
basin, and you'd always know which way the wind was blowing.

So what did they pay some PR firm to come up with?

"City of Destiny."

"Great Wine Capital?" Maybe they mean capitol, eh? "Vintage of the
Century," "Greatest Vintage of any viticultural area EVER!"

Yawn.

JJ