Posted to alt.food.wine
greybeard greybeard is offline

Default "Great Wine Capital" of the World

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Oct 17, 5:00 am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> "st.helier" > wrote:
> > Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine
> > Capital" of the World.

> > Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled
> > to one only.

> > Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown,
> > Florence, Mainz, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San
> > Francisco - Napa Valley.

> > The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295
> > wineries, encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the
> > north as far south as Central Otago, 400km south.

> > I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted"
> > shortly.

> Interesting.
>
> Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
> industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
> hectares of vineyards.
>
> M.

>I have to say the "Great Wine Capitals" network of the world seems
>like a crock of sh$t to me. OK, one can argue Bordeaux over Beaune,
>Florence over Turin, etc. San Francisco is an hour+ from Napa
>(Sacramento is about same distance). Is Bilbao in Rioja? Mainz is more
>important than Trier? Totally meaningless list IMHO

Bah humbug! Can only agree with your opinion.
There's nothing about Christchurch that speaks 'wine' to me.
The case for Wellington is much stronger IMO.
1. It is the Capital (of NZ)
2. The Wairarapa wine region (including Martinborough) is a reasonable
distance
away to make a day trip possible, and a large number of Wellingtonians
do so.
3. Actually, a large number of the vineyard owners, and wine producers
have escaped
govt and/or professional life in Wellington to make wine in the
Wairarapa.

cheers greybeard