Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default sodium nitrite v smoking

stormy wrote:
> zxcvbob
> I am smoking snack sticks and jerky that last maybe 2 weeks the most..
> I would like to rplace the sodium nitrate due to cancer issues linked
> to it.
>
> On Sep 29, 11:32 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> stormy wrote:
>>> I want to stay as healthy as I can when smoking.
>>> DO I have to use sodium nitrite or can I substitute 80/20 salt sugar
>>> as a replacement.
>>> my jerky ect does not last more than a week or 2.

>> I might could answer that, but I don't know what you're asking. What
>> are you trying to do?

You can make jerky without any nitrite or nitrate. I never add anything
but salt, sugar, and spices. "Snack sticks" sounds like small diameter
summer sausage or salami -- Slim Jims or pepperoni sticks -- and you
definitely need to use curing salts with that.

(it might be possible to safely make summer sausage without nitrites if
you add a bunch of vinegar to the meat so it starts out sour, but you'd
have to really know what you were doing, and it would probably taste bad
when you were done)

Bob