Posted to rec.food.preserving
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default sodium nitrite v smoking

In article >, pheasant >
wrote:

> stormy wrote:
> > zxcvbob
> > I am smoking snack sticks and jerky that last maybe 2 weeks the most..
> > I would like to rplace the sodium nitrate due to cancer issues linked
> > to it.

> No no no!!!!!!!!
>
> Healthy???? If you think botulinum toxin is healthy you could be in
> for a very unpleasant surprise.
>
> ANYTIME you smoke you need cure. PERIOD!!!!! If spores grow and
> produce toxin, no amount of cooking will remove it.
>
> You may get away with it, but why chance it.

Depends on how long you plan to smoke and whether or not you plan to
freeze it. There are nitrite free smoked meats available, but always in
the freezer section.

I made 21 lbs. of smoked beef/basil sausage a couple of weeks or so ago,
Nitrate/Nitrite free, but I only smoked it for about 90 minutes and from
there, some was refrigerated for immediate use and the rest was frozen.

I'm currently making a batch of Canadian Bacon that will be brined/cured
at 40 degrees for 5 days, dried out under refrigeration for 3 days, then
smoked for 2 hours, but I AM using Potassium Nitrate with that as I feel
it's safer due to the carcinogen question.

You are correct tho' that if Clostridium botulinum grows, the toxin
remains in the meat and it can kill you.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>