Posted to alt.food.wine
Joseph Coulter[_8_] Joseph Coulter[_8_] is offline

Default "Great Wine Capital" of the World

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:00:09 +0200, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>"st.helier" > wrote:
>
>> Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine
>> Capital" of the World.
>>
>> Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled
>> to one only.
>>
>> Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown,
>> Florence, Mainz, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San
>> Francisco - Napa Valley.
>>
>> The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295
>> wineries, encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the
>> north as far south as Central Otago, 400km south.
>>
>> I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted"
>> shortly.

>Interesting.
>
>Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
>industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
>hectares of vineyards.
>
>M.

The Parisiennes will surely inform you that quanity alone does not
make for vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France
is being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com