Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default REVIEW: Trader Joe's Savory Broth Chicken Flavor

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:30:49 -0400, "Zeppo" > wrote:

Zeppo wrote:

> I pay a lot less at BJ's for cans. I get a case of 12 cans of College Inn
> standard chicken stock for ~$5. I use this for making rice or risotto or
> other uses where the flavor of the stock isn't critical and use Swanson
> Natural Goodness or Kitchen Basics for more critical use.

The best store bought stock I've found is Goya bouillion (at least as
good and likely better than what folks here make with their saved up
garbage). Goya is available in foil envelopes... much better flavor
than other bouillion or canned, and even those concentrate pastes. I
find canned stock a waste of storage space, and once opened you really
need to use it all right then, with Goya I use how much I want, roll
down the foil pouch, and put the rest back in the cupboard. As far as
I'm concerned the only way to have good stock is to make it from
scratch and from good wholesome ingredients, not from saved up
garbage... it's not possible to make chicken stock that tastes of
chicken by using skins, fat, scoured bones, spinal cords, and other
meatless scraps. When I make a dish worth making that requires *real*
stock I'm going to make my own from scratch, and if I'm going to make
the effort then I'm going to use the best ingredients possible...
chicken is cheap, when I make chicken stock I use whole chickens, and
in fact I cut out the backs and put them in the trash, I don't want
spinal cord/fluid in my stock. Soup greens are cheap too, I don't use
bits of veggies that weren't worth eating the first go round and are
really only fit for the compost bin... I mean like a couple carrots,
two celery ribs, an onion, and a few parsley sprigs isn't gonna put
anyone in the poor house... and herbs and spices are the same, only
wasted when added to garbage swill du jour.... your sack o' shit
poultry spines ain't worth wasting a dozen peppercorns, a bay leaf,
not even a spoon of salt.