zxcvbob

Default Browning Flour

Joelle wrote:
> Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've come
> across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and is
> this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until it's
> brown? Anything more to it?
> Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just make a
> roux?
>
> Joelle

Don't brown the flour first unless you are trying to leave out the oil.
Browning dry flour without burning it is a real pain in the ass. But you
can brown about a pound of it in the oven (stir frequently) and use it for
a half dozen batches of gumbo without having to make a roux.

Mix the browned flour with the sauted bell peppers, onions, and celery
right before you add the tomatoes and stock.

Best regards,
Bob