Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default Shiraz-soy Grilled Flank Steak Recipe.

"Duwop" > wrote in message

There's so much wrong here. Let's start the critique. <eg>

On Oct 12, 10:30 am, chris > wrote:
> Shiraz + Flank Steak + Charcoal = Incredible flavour!
> What else can I say? Some things are just meant to go together.

To start with calling out a specific varietal? To *cook* with? I got
four words for you: Paul Mason Hearty Burgundy. Use it for all your
red wine cooking needs. Or whatever's handy. I don't care. The end
result will be essentially the same. I know, I know "hearty burgundy
soy steak" doesn't have the same zing. If you're going for a soundbite
I suggest Malbec-Soy. Or maybe not, sounds a bit too much like a Nazi
concentration camp doesn't it.

> Ingredients:

Usually this would be shown as

MEAT:
Flank Steak (Doh)

Marinade:

> Method:
>
> •Whisk the first 8 ingredients into a glass bowl.

Really? We're fond of whisking flank steak here, really. Maybe if you
listed the marinade separately this very important distinction would
be unnecessary. What if someone can't count? You don't want to be
insensitive to the numerically challenged do you? Can we count you in?

> •Pour marinade over steak and completely cover.
> •Place in fridge and marinate 2 hours or overnight, turning
> occasionally.

Why turn if it's completely covered? Redunant. Ziploc bags are
unbeatable for marinading in BTW.

I'd not thought to add red wine to my soy based marinades though, have
to give it a try.

Soy is very salty and this is a heavy marinade which makes it a little
less versatile. i.e. you wouldn't want to use this flank steak in a
burrito, it should be eaten on it's own, probably with rice to offset
the hearty flavors this would have.

A citrus marinade is my current favorite for flank steak. What's some
others?

>And chris? RFC is more of a recipe newsgroup if you're looking to
>share those, we're more process oriented since our basic has 3
>ingredients: meat, heat, smoke.

Chris's post is a very interesting outdoor cooking recipe. Most wouldn't
consider combining shiraz with soy, particularly that much soy. You're even
going to try it. It unquestionably belongs on this NG. You could also post
it on RFC, though it also belongs here.

This is a non moderated NG. Whatever the mission was of the original
founder[s], this NG is about cooking outdoors and what readers and posters
define as barbecue right now, today. You can screech and yell otherwise but
that's what it is. Nothing is going to change that. I'll bet 75% of the
outdoor cooking by readers and posters on this NG is on a gas grill a good
fraction of the time. A substantial fraction grill over charcoal "yes,
grill". A fraction of the charcoal grilling is indirectly roasting with or
without wood. A small fraction on this NG actually smoke frequently in a
smoker. Some of those, thank god, even smoke with charcoal instead of gas.
Most of us smoke or "que" or "BBQ" now and then, though relatively
infrequently.

BTW, shiraz has a unique flavor. It's not comparable to Gallo

Didn't you mean "meat, heat, smoke" and ****, bitch, scream, and other.

Ed

..