Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default How many layers is your lasagna?

Pete C. wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Mine is (starting at the bottom): tomato sauce, noodles, ricotta,
>> noodles, meat, just a little sauce, noodles, ricotta, noodles, sauce.
>> Bake for about 45 minutes, top with grated mozzarella cheese mixed with
>> a little oregano, and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes.
>>
>> It's good, but it tries to climb out of the pan during cooking. And
>> when serving, it separates at the meat layer and the top slides off. So
>> is there a better way to stack it? I think I have too many thin layers.
>> And maybe the meat should be near the top instead of the middle.
>>
>> Bob

> Using thin full sized sheets of fresh made pasta pretty much eliminates
> sliding issues unless you seriously over-sauce. The fresh thin pasta
> conforms to the surface textures unlike thick stiff individual strips,
> and absorbs more liquid so it sticks much better. I don't think the
> layer count matters much unless you are trying to out-layer someone. My
> lasagna tends to run about 4 layers.

I'm using a 10x15x2" pan, I think that's the problem. I'm stacking
until I use up a whole pound of cooked dried noodles (minus one for
the dog) and they end up heaped-up in the pan. A 3" or 4" high pan
would help tremendously. I don't think I'll go with the fresh pasta
for lasagna to take to a church potluck, but I might try it once to
see what a difference it makes.

I might replace the 2nd layer of noodles with a layer of sliced
provolone cheese next time to stick it together.

Bob