Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken[_1_] Ken[_1_] is offline

Default Score

On Oct 9, 4:40*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Yesterday the local/local market had a sale like I have not seen in a
> while - zucchini 39 cents/Lb. Onions 20 cents/Lb. Short Ribs $1.99/lb Tri
> Tip by the bag - maybe 6 & $1.99/Lb.

(Snip)
> You?
>
> --
> Dimitri

Just yesterday, I made the loop to go grocery shopping. I stop at the
roadside stands, then finish at the store. At the first stand, I got
some butternut squash for only .49/lb. A good price, but it's only
butternut squash. The real find was the vine ripe large tomatoes and
fresh picked yellow peaches. I also got kiwis and Asian pears. It's
farm country.

The real score was at the next stand where I got a basket of pea sized
sweet 100's tomatoes for $1 (They're so small, there has to be over
100 in there.), six small, fresh cukes $1, and the last three pack of
grown-right-there strawberries for $6. The score was they wanted to
close, and it was their last pack of strawberries, so it's piled so
high it's at least five or six baskets. There's no way I can go
through all of those before they go bad. I'm guessing one of my
neighbors will be very happy with the gift. Yah, I could freeze them,
but since it's the last of the year, I might as well make somebody
happy with fresh from the field strawberries.

Ken