Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Quick and dirty soup!

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:54:04 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either
>>> but she will eat it.
>>>
>>> I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover
>>> pasta.
>>> I used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just
>>> that the gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or
>>> maybe because I can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it
>>> any more. Alas, it is one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a
>>> jarred sauce so there were 6 servings. I guess when my husband
>>> isn't here I will have to start making my own sauce and in a small
>>> quantity
>>> so I can make less pasta.
>>> I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2
>>> pack of cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey.
>>> Angela ate none of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it.
>>> And only one sandwich from the turkey. There are times when she
>>> grabs handfuls of meat, but this wasn't one of them. And I didn't
>>> eat any sandwiches. So it all got thrown out.
>>>
>>> I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked
>>> bacon, bologna and the new turkey I bought.
>>>
>>> Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another
>>> package of pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there
>>> rather than throw it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason
>>> they put sugar in it and when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's
>>> half a gluten free pizza. Can't get Angela to eat the other half.
>>> There's the giant package of uncooked chicken breasts. Some cooked
>>> hamburger, a few boxes of chicken nuggets and fish sticks and I'm
>>> not sure what all else. Angela keeps wanting ice cream but there
>>> is no
>>> room for it.

>> I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a
>> small fridge and freezer.

> Check out your local op shop. I'm involved with the one for our
> neighborhood Centre. We often get fridges and freezers in as people
> up-grade. We sell them incredibly cheaply. I don't know what your
> equivalent would be; ask around.
>
> Unfortunately, unless you have a friend with a trailer, the delivery
> from down here would be prohibitive.

Will do, most second hand stuff I have ever encountered has been
prohibitively high considering the age of them. I have an acquaintance who
moved to Kirra just before I came north and she emailed me about how great
the charity shops were up here so I best be looking! I do believe there is
also a NILS system running up here as well. Non interest loan schemes on new
goods but I do know before I left NSW they had reduced the items on offer to
necessities like fridges and washing machines.