Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Quick and dirty soup!

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready for
> the big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and no
> protein. I had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and considered
> what I could have for lunch today.
>
> So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic, limp
> celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the onion and
> garlic in olive oil and in a saucepan put the onion/garlic, the veggies
> chopped up, a can of diced tomatoes, some bottled V8 veggie juice and a
> can of 4 bean mix.
>
> It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is superb, the
> test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even better when I add a bit
> of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks like it might be my dinner as
> well as I can only see sausages left in the freezer so the kids will get
> that - the soup is not the kind they like.

That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either but she
will eat it.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover pasta. I
used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just that the
gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or maybe because I
can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it any more. Alas, it is
one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a jarred sauce so there were 6
servings. I guess when my husband isn't here I will have to start making my
own sauce and in a small quantity so I can make less pasta.

I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2 pack of
cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey. Angela ate none
of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it. And only one sandwich
from the turkey. There are times when she grabs handfuls of meat, but this
wasn't one of them. And I didn't eat any sandwiches. So it all got thrown
out.

I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked bacon,
bologna and the new turkey I bought.

Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another package of
pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there rather than throw
it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason they put sugar in it and
when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's half a gluten free pizza. Can't
get Angela to eat the other half. There's the giant package of uncooked
chicken breasts. Some cooked hamburger, a few boxes of chicken nuggets and
fish sticks and I'm not sure what all else. Angela keeps wanting ice cream
but there is no room for it.