Dave

Default Recipe : All-corn cornbread

"Ronni" > wrote in message
| I'm looking forward to trying your recipe for corn bread...I just have one
| question....
| Do you have any suggestions for baking with a glass pan? I have the 9 inch
| square and the traditional 'cake' pan in glass, they are both heavy but
not
| near a cast iron weight. Should I do anything different or try a whole
| different recipe? I have never made my own cornbread but would love to. I
| love corn bread and the mixes and store bought jsut isn't what I want in
| cornbread. thanks

My grandmother baked cornbread in a glass casserole (don't remember the
size) when she stopped frying it in a cast-iron skillet. I remember hers
being loaded down with shortening which bubbled up around the sides when it
came out. It was good, but I liked the fried cornbread patties more. I make
it a bit healthier today in a cast-iron skillet in the oven. I heat the
skillet in the oven to 400 degrees, then pull it out, Pam-coat it, and dump
in my batter (that has flour, cornmeal, yogurt, baking soda, and sugar). It
comes out rather cake-like, but very tasty. It's about 150 calories for
1/8th of a piece, and almost no fat (fat-free yogurt - the Stonyfield Farms
variety). It's very good with honey or plain. Putting the batter in the
greased pan while hot (and greasing it hot) may have something to do with my
bread not sticking. It pops out after 20 minutes baking and is wonderfully
browned on all sides! What is left is great the next day (I like it cold as
well as hot).