Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Default Fuel Cost Comparisons once more

Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Theron wrote:
>>
>> I'm assuming that the BTU per pound of different charcoals is the
>> same, and as we know it's not. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour,
>> which is variable, based on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking
>> unit. I've been unable to find anything about the ingredients of the
>> Sam's Walmart charcoal, and the Trader Joe's charcoall is claimed to
>> be 100% hardwood plus cornstarch to bind and lump is wood.
>> Your thoughts??

> Don't forget the waste with lump charcoal.
> When I used to buy Mexican mesquite charcoal
> at Smart & Final, a lot of it -- maybe a
> quarter or even a third of the whole sack
> consisted of chips too small to use.

Not to mention the wasted heat. When you cook with charcoal you have to
get it going and wait until the coals are all nice and hot. Then when
you are finished grilling you have all that unburned charcoal that you
have to douse or just let die out. Either way, it's gone. My propane
grill heats up in a few minutes, and as soon as I am finished cooking I
turn it off.

$20 for a tank of propane?? I only pay $13 and some place charge $15.
For $22 can take in an old tank and exchange it for a newer full tank.
Cost comparisons have little credibility when they inflate the prices
like that.