Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Charcoal Propane Cost Comparisons

"Theron" > wrote in message
> I'm assuming that the BTU per pound of different charcoals is the same,
> and as we know it's not. I'm also assuming 10,000 BTU per hour, which is
> variable, based on cooking temp, and the size of the cooking unit. I've
> been unable to find anything about the ingredients of the Sam's Walmart
> charcoal, and the Trader Joe's charcoall is claimed to be 100% hardwood
> plus cornstarch to bind and lump is wood.
> Your thoughts??
>
> Ed

Couple of thoughts. Fist, my decision on a fuel is based on results and
ease of use, not cost. Pre-heating burn time changes the total use also.

The comparison of different charcoals may be valid, but different fuels used
on different cookers with different designs and efficiency make a true
comparison impossible.

The biggest error though, is the Btu per pound of charcoal versus lump. If
one has limestone in it, the Btu content per pound cannot possibly be the
same. Propane is 21548 per pound. I don't know what the lump rating is,
but much higher per pound than briquettes. I recall reading it is about
double, but cannot be sure right now. .