Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Favorite slaw recipe follow up

>> Which recipe did you use? This one??
>>
>> I 5# bag slaw mix

Slaw mix? Bagged? Never touched the stuff. Chop or grate a head of
cabbage with an onion and carrot.

Then salt the mix and let its stand for 30 to 60 minutes and squeeze out the
excess water. That way it does not get all watered down as it sits later.

I make a slightly different version of the Corky's show below. I cut back
the celery seeds, add more onion and leave out the salt as I've already
salted the cabbage.

Here is the recipe for cole slaw from Corky's in Memphis. This is the best
I've tasted. Many ingredients are the same in other slaws- the difference
must be the celery seeds, vinegar, and mustard. Don't leave anything out. It
is perfect.

Corky's Cole Slaw
-serves 6

1 med. head green cabbage, shredded

2 med. carrots. grated

1 green pepper finely diced

2 TBS onion, grated

2 cups mayonnaise

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 TBS celery seeds

1 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. white pepper

Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another.

Mix together and toss well.

Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

California Bill's Dad's Coleslaw

1 large head green cabbage, quartered and chopped to shreds;

1 small white onion, chopped finely (2 T.-1/4 C.)

2-3 very finely chopped Serrano peppers, (second generation addition)

1/2 C.(+/-) real mayonnaise;

3 T. Cider vinegar;

1 small apple (any kind), chopped

sugar, (2 T)

salt, to taste (1 t.)

white pepper, to taste.

Chop it all, and mix very well. For more guests, double all ingredients,
except the salt.

Prepare 12 to 24 hours before serving---REFRIGERATE! ENJOY!