Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Oh-so-precious question about finishing salts

Kswck wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> >
> > Here's my question: If I made dissolved a lot of salt in port, then dried
> > that brine in a flat pan, could I get flaky port-infused salt out of it?
> > Or would the salt "squeeze out" the port as it crystallized?
> >
> > Bob, who thinks that port-infused flaky salt sounds interesting

> I would thinkn that you would have to put enough salt in the port as to make
> it almost a thick slurry. Then dry it out.
> I should think that you can probably get a lot of info from those who sell
> salt and/or you may wish to re-watch the Modern Marvels program on Discovery
> on salt.

First, you have to separate the concept, the end-goal
as it were, from the technology used to achieve it.

Your naive proposed technology will not be successful.
The obvious way to make it is either to coat crystals with
a wine powder (most likely spray-dried) or make a thick
salty wine syrup and spray-dry that but then you won't
have the pretty crystals. It'll look like instant dashi.
You can make the wine powder stick to the salt crystals
with a tiny amount of oil. A highly saturated vegetable
oil like coconut oil would be best, to avoid rancidity.
Palm kernel oil also would also work well. Both clog
arteries, but the amount you need is so tiny it doesn't
matter.

There's also a drying process in which a syrup or slurry
is poured onto a belt in a vacuum. It forms a thin layer,
and the high surface area promotes rapid evaporation.
Then a scraper blade scrapes the dried stuff off the belt.
Some instant coffees are made this way, the ones with the
large sparkly crystals.