View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Experienced Member

That's quite a difficult dilema. I say a lot depends on your personality. For many people, having a system to go by is necessary to the success of their business. For me, I couldn't stand having someone telling what to do all the time. Being a franchisee means following their standards and demands exclusively, at the risk of losing your franchise. Losing your franchise usually means all the equipment, signage, and sometimes property, while you still hold the mortgage to it all. Franchisors can demand that you upfit your entire property, potentially costing tens of thousands of dollars.

However, with your own business, everything is up to you. You don't have a recognizable brand, you don't have marketing support, you don't have national buying power and many other concerns that wearing every hat in your own business demands.

If considering a franchise, do a tremendous amount of research, and make sure you have deep pockets to keep up with their demands. Most importantly, read your franchise agreement very carefully. Don't let the excitement and emotion of owning your own business cloud the business decision you must make. Your future will ride on the right decision.