Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RockPyle RockPyle is offline

Default Barbecue Cookbooks

On Sep 10, 5:20*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:42:20 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
> > * If you are new to Barbecue/grilling you might want to gat a copy of Gary
> > Wiviott's new book, Low &Slow, Master the art of barbecue in 5 easy lessons.
> > * It covers the use of WSM, offset and Weber Kettle cooking.
> > * If you follow Gary's directions you will cook pretty good Q right out of
> > the Gate.

> I expect to see Gary peddling his book on late night TV
> infomercials. *Event he reviews of his book on Amazon appear to be
> staged.
>
> I'm not to fond of his approach to BBQ, or the way he goes about
> teaching it, to say the least. *I've read the website. *That's
> enough for me.
>
> Professor Wiviot? *He must have pretty strong neck muscles to
> support that head.
>
> -sw

I ordered and received the book. I've not tried any of the recipes,
but skimming through the book, the tone is very off-putting. Follow
these steps, don't deviate from them, don't use any other available
information, and you will see the light.

Almost like a cult.

That being said, his progression from short to longer smokes and focus
on feeling the fire and understanding done-ness through your senses
rather than just measurements seems like a good addition/alternative
to a more mechanical and time/temperature regime.

I will be trying the marinated chicken recipe soon!

I think the book will be a good addition to the shelf, but certainly
will not have me throwing away all my other books and severing my
connection to the internet!

Rock