Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default Question: Converting ti infrared

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:25:06 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Gene" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I will have to try MAPP. Wouldn't you want to hit the meat with it
>>> FIRST? Thanks much for all the info!
>>>
>>> If I want to sear I use wood. I can get that over 700 degrees. But of
>>> course I'm looking for a solution that is quick.
>>>
>>> Perhaps LOX ?
>>>
>>> Hehhehe
>>>

>>If you don't have cast iron grates on your Brinkmann try to find a cast
>>iron
>>grate that will fit. Grill with the flat side of the grade toward the meat
>>and you'll get the most sear possible. Plain cast iron is fine, but
>>keeping
>>it seasoned and rust free on a outside gas grill is almost impossible, for
>>me at least. If you can find a porceleinized grate, that's probably the
>>best. Stainless steel is the worst grate material from a searing
>>standpoint.. Doing this made quite a difference for me; it's not anything
>>like charcoal, but better than before.
>>
>>Ed
>>

> Yes, I have porcelin covered cast iron grates.
>
> The searing process has nothing to do with the type of grate and
> EVERYTHING to do with how high a heat you can get.

Gene, the heat output from the propane burner is low to the point where any
"sear" comes from the grate. The degree of "sear" with the same burner will
be different with cast iron, stainless steel, and enamaled steel grates
because of that. With charcoal, with its infrared heat output, you get a
good "sear" that's much less dependant on the heat of the grate. The few
times I've used a cast iron grate on my Weber charcoal grill the sear was
pretty spectacular. However, as we all know, you get great sear from
charcoal and steel grates you see on Weber grills. With an infrared propane
burner on a properly designed grill the sear comes from the heat source
itself, not the grate. Having said that, you still don't want a grate that
obstructs the heat, like the large stainless steel grates you see on
expensive grills.

Ed