Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine maxine is offline

Default Rot coal!

On Sep 29, 5:47*pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> > Or should that be rott kohl?

> Rotkohl.
>
> > *Either way, there are two head of red
> > cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
> > and other braising ideas.

> Why? *You tried it and didn't like it? *If you want a specifically
> German recipe, there is very often lard or bacon fat... is that a viable
> option?

Mostly it's the braising that I dread. My experience with cooked
cabbage has left emotional scars. And I find the texture of cooked
apples (unless they're cooked inside a pie<g>) unappealing, so many of
the recipes I found for rotkohl turned me off.

Most recipes I've tried that call for lard seem to work ok (at least
we like them) using either shortening or margarine, even oil in a few
cases. Bacon and fatback are a little trickier, since they impart a
decided flavor that salt and liquid smoke just can't match.

> > I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
> > the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

> Can't help there, as I don't like chestnuts.
>
> > Does cabbage take well to roasting?

> Well, you can make a gratin.
>
> Here are a couple of recipes.

The Barvarian one sounds too much like a braise, but the gratin sounds
tasty. Thank you!

maxine in ri