Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus[_3_] hahabogus[_3_] is offline

Default Rot coal!

(Victor Sack) wrote in
on Sep Tue 2009 04:47 pm

> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
>> Or should that be rott kohl?

> Rotkohl.
>
>> Either way, there are two head of red
>> cabbage in my fridge, and I shudder at the thought of vinegar, apples,
>> and other braising ideas.

> Why? You tried it and didn't like it? If you want a specifically
> German recipe, there is very often lard or bacon fat... is that a viable
> option?
>
>> I'm thinking of something with chestnuts (found a recipe) to bring out
>> the nuttiness that may be inherent in the beastie.

> Can't help there, as I don't like chestnuts.
>
>> Does cabbage take well to roasting?

> Well, you can make a gratin.
>
> Here are a couple of recipes.
>
> Rotkohl bayerische Art
> Red Cabbage Bavarian Style
> serves 4
>
> 1 head red cabbage (about 1 kg/ 2.2 pounds)
> 1 onion
> 30 g (about an ounce) clarified butter
> 1-2 teaspoons sugar
> 1-2 teaspoons caraway seeds (I omit them)
> salt
> freshly ground black pepper
> 1/4 l (a generous cup) meat or vegetable stock or broth
> 3 parsley twigs
> 2 tablespoons lemon juice
>
> 1. Quarter the cabbage and remove the outer leaves and the core. Wash
> the quarters and slice finely. Peel the onion and chop finely.
>
> 2. In a pot, heat the butter and the sugar over medium-to-high heat and
> let lightly brown, stirring constantly.
>
> 3. Add the cabbage, onions, caraway, salt and pepper, and cook for a
> few seconds, stirring.
>
> 4. Add the stock or broth, bring to boil, and cook, covered, over
> low-to-medium heat for about 15 minutes, until just soft.
>
> 5. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.
>
> 6. Sprinkle lemon juice over the cabbage to taste and serve, mixed with
> parsley.
>

> Rotkohlgratin
> Red Cabbage Gratin
> serves 5
>
> 2 large onions
> 1 garlic clove
> 1 medium-sized head red cabbage
> 1 small bunch parsley
> 4-5 tablespoons oil
> 200 ml (0.8 cup) cream
> 3 eggs
> salt
> Cayenne pepper
> 1 teaspoon ground caraway (I omit it)
> 1 teaspoon dried thyme
> 200 g (7 oz) grated cheese of choice (such as Gruyère, Gouda, Edam, or
> mozzarella, each making a difference)
> 50 g (1.8 oz) butter
>
> 1. Peel and chop separately the onions and the garlic.
>
> 2. Clean and quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Wash and finely
> slice the quarters.
>
> 3. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.
>
> 4. Heat the oil and, in batches, brown the cabbage and onions over low
> heat, stirring, remove and let cool until just warm.
>
> 5. Mix in the garlic.

> [...]

Around these parts red cabbage is panfried in a little butter, a little sugar and a little red wine.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.