Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Question: Converting ti infrared

"Gene" > wrote in message

> Too rich for me right now, but thanks for the tip.
>
> I do not have the tools to do what you did. Guess this will have
> wait. OH well!
>
> Thanks for lookin for me before I leap!

We've always enjoyed 'char rare' steaks and some seafood like
shrimp can be improved with a blast of high heat to blacken the
loose edges. Before building the IR grill, I always kept an LP
torch out by the grill and used it with MAPP gas to sear foods.
Perhaps that would be an inexpensive idea for you. To this day, I
use it on squid and shrimp, with occasional touch-up of chicken
wings.

The idea is to go ahead and cook the food on the grill like you
normally would, then fire up the MAPP gas torch just before
removing it. A pass over seafood adds to the flavor and takes
virtually no time. Steaks benefit as well, though you don't get
the stripes like you do with a true IR Grill. Give it a try- the
torches are cheap and can be found at Lowe's, Home Depot or any
hardware store. LP works, but if you get a MAPP gas cylinder for
it, it'll give you a hotter flame and better searing.

--
Nonny

To compel a man to subsidize with
taxes the propagation of policies