Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] doublesb@hotmail.com is offline

Default When & how to use Campden tablets. New to wine making.

On Sep 25, 1:42*pm, BobF > wrote:
> Mike wrote:

Mike,

Just wanted to add to what Jack Keller says. Campen tablets are
enough sulfites to make SO2 equal to 50 ppm for one gallon of wine.
SO2 does NOT kill organisms but puts them into a state of inactivity.
Contrary to some of the info floating around here by self proclaimed
people of credibility, even the engineered yeast can go dormant if
enough SO2 is added to a must. So the trick is to make all the
bacteria in the must dormant without affecting the yeast you
pitched. 50ppm of SO2 is that number that most winemakers use. After
fermentation, the SO2 will be gone from the must because it is a gas
and dissapates from the activity during the ferment. After
fermentation, the wine will be full of CO2 ( fizzy). The CO2 will
protect the wine as long as you keep the wine topped up in th
container you keep it in. You will need to de-gas the wine eventually
by stirring it or some other way. Contrary to what Jack Keller says,
oxygen is needed at the start of fermentation and also is introduced
gradually and controlled ( racking) after fermentation to age the
wine. After ferment you could wait to add SO2 because if you keep the
wine topped up, it is saturated in CO2 so there is no panic to add
it.