Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] is offline

Default Healthy vines

michael wrote:

> On 19 Sep, 10:58, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
>> shbailey wrote:

>> > The following link provides pictures of grape leaves with various
>> > nutrient deficiencies. Â*Potash (potassium) and magnesium are the most
>> > common. Â*Magnesium can be easily supplied with a few spoonfuls of
>> > Epsom salts. Â*I read the other day that grapes usually don't need
>> > added phosphates. Â*http://www.honeycreek.us/leaf_chart.php

>> > You hit the nail on the head about the benefit of mulch. Â*If you had a
>> > long warm, dry spell and your vines remained healthy, it was due to
>> > the stable moisture levels enabled by your mulch.

>> > Stephen

>> It was probably the long warm, dry spell that made the vines healthy.
>> Vines love and thrive in those conditions.
>>
>> I don't think Michael lives in a semi-arid part of the world requiring
>> mulch.- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Paul,
> Although I do not live in a semi-arid part of the world,my
> sloping dry limestone south facing soil does dry extremely quickly
> during the summer.The grass on the adjoining orchard becomes a pale
> straw colour for a couple of months,and the planting of fruit trees in
> the orchard is almost impossible without regular watering in the first
> couple of years.So it may be the case that mulching in March helped
> the vines over the very warm dry June period,and stopped any powdery
> mildew developing.

If you had a sunnier and warmer season than usual thus far, that could be
the major reason for lack of powdery.

> In other years,I have some powdery mildew,even
> though I spray regularly with wettable sulphur.This year I have not
> detected any powdery mildew on any of my four varieties of
> vines.So,maybe the jury is still out as to whether the mulching has
> helped the vines in my particular situation,but I am tempted to mulch
> again next year.
> Best regards
> Michael

How many rows do you have?
Could you do an experiment and mulch some and don't mulch others and see if
there is a difference?