Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dovey Dee Dovey is offline

Default Banging and clanging at a bear

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sat 19 Sep 2009 07:48:40p, Bob Terwilliger told us...
>
>> Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>>> Using Tibetan bells, alongside an Indian stainless steel bowl being
>>> stricken with an enchilda spatula to chase away Mr. bear ....
>>>
>>> I noticed while doing so that there was some wet black water spots that
>>> were flung onto the bowl, and some of the same water at the hinge of the
>>> spatula. For the life of me I cannot imgine where the wet came from.
>>> (Yes, it was a clean bowl and clean spatula.)
>>>
>>> Now that it is dry, rubbing my hands on the spots, they rub off like

> rust
>>> and smell like iron.
>>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hd09dd&s=4

>> The handle of the spatula is hollow, and water gets inside.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I find if I put my stainless steel whisks with the large cylindrical
> handles in the diswasher handle-end down, a small amount of water manages
> to get inside the handle through the holds where the wires enter the
> handle. If I put them in whisk-end down, water either doesn't accumulate
> or manages to drain out by the end of the dishwashing cycle.
>
> Wayne Boatwright

This spatula hadn't been washed in the dishwasher; mainly because it is
about 16" long and the spatula part is almost 6" wide and it has sharp
teeth.

Looking at it, I can see where I may have/probably soaked it, and the water
did 'stay' under the soldered connection, and it came out when I beat it
against a pan; but it has been some time since I used it; must've stayed
there a loooong time. I think you're right on the money.

It is called an enchilada spatula that Bayless sold. I love it for cutting
lasagne, too.

Thanks for your response, Wayne.
Stay well,
Dee Dee