Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default cold smoking

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> salmon is one of the things i am interested in cold smoking, Lee
> "Theron" > wrote in message

>>> Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some
>>> interesting ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of the
>>> subdivision a few years back putting up Christmas decorations, before
>>> joining them I placed a pound of almonds and a pound of cashews on trays
>>> and smoked them for an hour. By the time the people were ready to get
>>> to work, I had warm, smoked nuts to treat everybody. Smoking cheese is
>>> a matter of taste, of course, but it makes an interesting mini wheel to
>>> let people cut slices from to put on crackers at a party.
>>>
>>> Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food that
>>> is ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For instance, bulk
>>> bacon can be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25% solution of maple
>>> syrup and then smoked for 20 minutes or so using an Apple puck. Then,
>>> it can be repackaged, microwaved, fried or even frozen for future use.
>>>
>>> I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in the
>>> refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he tossed it
>>> out when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's a great way to
>>> add smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still preparing it the
>>> traditional way on the grill or even in a fryer.
>>>
>>> Kent

>> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
>> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
>> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get
>> some good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the
>> surface with a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>>
>> Horrors,
>>
>> Ed

To cold smoke salmon you should cure it first. Make the Scandanivian gravlax
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/132/Gravlax
and then smoke following. I've tried this several times without success.
The salmon ended up stiff and "cooked". I met quite a savvy fellow
Scandinavian who said, shockingly, what I said above. You make the gravlax,
and then apply carefully diluted liquid smoke. I haven't tried that, though
I'm going to.

As others have said, you have to get "cold smoke" to the fish, and you
should to do the curing first. You have to have a smoker that will generate
smoke without heat.

Good Luck

Ed,

BTW I've been using Morton's Tenderquick[salt, sugar .5% sodium nitrite and
..5% sodium nitrate] when making gravlax and I like the slight additional
"cure" taste. That product is good for dry curing.