Posted to alt.food.barbecue
RegForte RegForte is offline

Default cold smoking

Theron wrote:

> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold smoked
> salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature smoke, to avoid
> cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on that. The next time I get some
> good fresh wild salmon I'm going to make gravlax and cover the surface with
> a bit of diluted "liquid smoke".
>
> Horrors,
>
> Ed

I agree 100% that cold smoking should be "smoke without heat". For
some types of food a slightly elevated temp doesn't matter but for
others it ruins it. Cheese, for instance.

With Bradley equipment this is acheived by using the smoke generator
only. Hook it to a 3" pipe and send the smoke into a seperate
box that holds the food. Box temp will be no higher than ambient temp.

If you use the full Bradley smoker the temperature tends to rise
because it's insulated.

--
Reg