Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default cold smoking

"Theron" > wrote in message

..

>> Kent

> Will the Bradley smoke at as low a temp. that you need for "cold
> smoked salmon"? I think you basically need room temperature
> smoke, to avoid cooking the salmon. I've kind of given up on
> that. The next time I get some good fresh wild salmon I'm going
> to make gravlax and cover the surface with a bit of diluted
> "liquid smoke".
>
> Horrors,
>
> Ed

Dunno about Kent's but we live in LV and the typical summer air
temp alone can be well over 100f. When I cold smoke, I use meat
or food right from the refrigerator. Most smoking, for what I do,
can be accomplished in an hour or so. . . more can be
counterproductive. I tend to cold smoke the small or thin things,
like bacon, salmon, nuts, jerky etc., and am happy with the
results. So far, I've not killed myself with bad food, since the
temp rise from about 38f to "whatever" in an hour or so doesn't
seem to be enough to let bacteria grow. If someone lives in a
freezing, wild and desolate place like KC, Fairbanks or Billings,
that might work even more in their favor. <grin>

--
Nonny

Government is the great fiction
through which everybody endeavors
to live at the expense of everybody else.