Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Billeau Kent Billeau is offline

Default cold smoking

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> this is an area i know virtually nothing about. after reading
> here and a couple of other places i am interested in a general
> discussion on this topic... for/agains? do you do it and on what
> products? site reccomendations? recipes? the whole deal,

Cold smoking is quite easy with a Bradley, and is used in some
interesting ways. For instance, when some folk were out front of
the subdivision a few years back putting up Christmas decorations,
before joining them I placed a pound of almonds and a pound of
cashews on trays and smoked them for an hour. By the time the
people were ready to get to work, I had warm, smoked nuts to treat
everybody. Smoking cheese is a matter of taste, of course, but it
makes an interesting mini wheel to let people cut slices from to
put on crackers at a party.

Where I use cold smoking most is to impart a smoke flavor to food
that is ultimately cooked on the grill or microwave. For
instance, bulk bacon can be purchased, sprayed lightly with a 25%
solution of maple syrup and then smoked for 20 minutes or so using
an Apple puck. Then, it can be repackaged, microwaved, fried or
even frozen for future use.

I know one fellow who smoked a half salmon, then just left it in
the refrigerator thinking it'd be preserved. Thank goodness he
tossed it out when he spotted the green. As Nonny mentioned, it's
a great way to add smoke flavor, tough, to chicken, while still
preparing it the traditional way on the grill or even in a fryer.

Kent