Posted to alt.food.barbecue
theron theron is offline

Default Gas "low and slow" Fmoker Recommendations

I'd like to replace my aging Meco 5030-31 Charcoal smoker, if feasible with
a gas smoker. I'd like to find a gas smoker that would hold at 225F, and go
to 300F if the need arises. I had a Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker, that wouldn't
go that low. When you read messages in the Yahoo smokeymountain · Smoky
Mountain Gas Smoker group, that problem is omnipresent, and probably a
problem of its design. That was confirmed yesterday when I spoke with a
customer service rep. at another company, the Smoker Company, about their
34" gas smoker.
http://www.thesmokercompany.com/item...6gc-detail.htm
It has a 13,000 BTU burner, which, when turned down to its lowest setting
won't bring the temp. as low as 225F. Other than that it looks like a very
nice smoker. Unfortunately it's not currently marketed and you can't see it
before you buy it.

Do any know of a product, or have a solution? A flow limited of the gas
supply between the propane tank and the unit has been suggested and is used
by some. It's risky. Lowering the gas flow that low in a 13,000 BTU burner
increases the chance that the flame goes out, leaving freon in the
surrounding air, and a theoretical risk of fire.

Thanks,

Ed