Posted to rec.food.cooking
whirled peas whirled peas is offline

Default Cooking Dry Hominy/Pozole

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn
how to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy
in a pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several
times. Then simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original
cup of dry hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted
pretty good.

Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say
"remove the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the
kernels and couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart,
so it was probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have
just made the shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the shells/hulls?