Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default cooking so as to appeal to children

"brooklyn1" wrote
>> "john royce" wrote:

>>> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to
>>> mix
>>> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much
>>> like
>>> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

> Simplest is fried cabbage with egg noodles... most kids like noodles.
> Saute shredded/chopped cabbage in butter until tender-limp, add cooked
> noodles to pan, toss and add s n'p.

Simple and elegant. That was a nice side dish a neighbor in Sasebo taught
me. It hadnt occured to me until Charlotte came home and mentioned it. The
kids there would travel in little 'flocks' about the apartment building and
normally get fed little bits. With an extremely diverse ethnic mix, there
were all sorts of variations but most of us were real careful to make it
'real food' (not candy and cakes and such).

When Charlotte mentioned it, I wandered over with a head of cabbage and some
other things that looked likely and asked for the recipe.

Here was Serena's version of it:

Cook pasta to al-dente and keep warm at the side.

Melt butter and a little olive oil in frypan. Add shredded carrots (she
just used a standard peeler over the pan), about 1/2 cup, and white onion
(aboit 1/3 cup) and let slightly carmelize until the onions are a light
golden color.

Blanch cabbage leaves (torn to bitesize) until just barely limp in the pasta
water then remove with slotted spoon to frypan. Let melt into butter and
finish off.

At this stage she had 2 variations. 3 really as sometimes she just seved it
this way with nothing more added. Option 1: used caraway seeds. Option 2:
used a bit of a hoisin-like sauce mixed with a little 'rooster sauce' (not
too much, just enough for a mild bite).

This was then poured, complete with all pan juices over the pasta and
lightly mixed. Served whole in a bowl at the table, each would serve
themselves (very asian treatment in dining habits to do this at home).

Close to how you might make it?

BTW, I traded back my recipe that she'd heard of from her kids. Dashi-miso
soup with spinach, tofu, and other bits of things friendly to that flavor.