Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default cooking so as to appeal to children

In article >,
"john royce" > wrote:

> Is there a good way to cook cabbage ( and/or with something simple to mix
> with it) to make it more appealing to children, who don't normally much like
> cabbage? Thanks for advice.

That depends on the child. When I was a kid, my mom used to make an old
Polish dish called prackis (sp?), which is cabbage rolls with ground
veal in the center and simmered in tomato sauce. My little sister
wouldn't touch it, but I loved it.

I have four god children (two boys, two girls). We are very close. The
youngest kid just turned six. The oldest is midway into her 15th year.
All four kids have the same parents, yet they have very different tastes
in food. The oldest girl will try anything I ask her to eat, but she
definitely has a narrow range of foods she really enjoys. The six year
old boy will eat the typical things many six year old kids prefer, and
not much else. The 12 year old will eat anything that's not moving. The
ten year old couldn't care less about food, so she will eat pretty much
anything, but only a small portion, then she wants to do something else.

So try making those Polish cabbage rolls with veal in the middle, or
just don't worry about it. I have a long time friend who has a ten year
old son. This kid is by far the most fussy eater I have ever met. He
litterally looks malnourished. You can see his ribs and bones, and he
doesn't care about food. That's the way he's always been. I have known
him since he was born. He literally only eats chicken finger (one at a
meal and that's it), vanilla soft serve ice cream, and spaghetti with no
sauce on it of any kind, and grilled cheese and french fries. That's it.
Even when he does eat, its a very small amount. I used to try to get him
to eat different things, but I gave up. His uncle and I once were
watching him for a day when we realized there was a big sports event on
TV that we really wanted to see and no time to get him back to his
parents when we were on vacation in Disney World so we took him to the
ESPN Zone and we sat him down in the bar area with us. He sat wide eyed
watching the game with us and he hardly said a word. We tried to get him
to eat some of the food we ordered, but all he wanted was french fries
and an ice tea, so that's what he got. He did try one bite of one of our
buffalo chicken wings, but that was it. I was stunned that he behaved so
well during the game. We offered to call his parents to come get him,
but he said he was fine hanging out with us.

I don't have kids, but I do have a lot of other people's children in my
life, so I can tell you that they are all unique. Some kids will eat
cabbage, and some won't ... just like adults. If your kids won't eat
cabbage, then don't feed it to them, but try the prackis, and if they
try it and like it, great; otherwise, oh well.