Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark E Sievert[_2_] Mark E Sievert[_2_] is offline

Default New Norton/Cynthiana wine glass

On Sep 11, 10:07*am, Bobchai > wrote:
> On Sep 10, 12:52*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On Sep 10, 10:46*am, Mark E Sievert >
> > wrote:

> > >http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...g-back-norton/

> > > It has been a number of years since I've last posted here but the
> > > miracle of DSL in my remote location allowed me to re-visit old
> > > favorites that dial-up couldn't handle.

> > > For those who are blinkingly trying to remember me, I was probably the
> > > group's sole cheerleader for Missouri wine. *Yes, there is still a
> > > vast quantity of labrusca plonk produced here, but the above article
> > > link shows the seriousness of my home state's ability to produce good
> > > wine.

> > > Sincerely
> > > Mark E Sievert

> > Mark,
> > welcome back, I do remember you. I don't see many Missouri wines, but
> > liked a Missouri Norton a few years back

> Dale:
>
> *Norton=Cynthiana
>
> I have no experience with Missouri wines (well, Stone Hill once, maybe
> ten years ago), but Norton/Cynthiana is alive and well in Virginia.
> The owner of Chrysalis Vineyards has literally bet the farm on it;
> most of her acreage is planted to this varietal, which is ideally
> suited because this is where Norton originated.
>
> As a sideline, she makes arguably the best viognier in North America,
> and has some fabulous chardonnay, touriga nacional and cabernet franc.
> But Norton is the main event, and I worry about the saleability
> factor. However, nobody does it better.
>
> Norton is one of the most difficult varietals in the world. *It's a
> native grape of North America, but it's not of the labrusca series;
> it's its own species. *There's none of the foxy aroma associated with
> labrusca, but it's very weird.
>
> It colors well, producing dense black wines like petite sirah. *The
> juice is red, which is unusual for most grapes. *It has the most
> unusual tannin structure I have ever encountered, just tangy, bizarre
> and very "rustic". A Frenchman would turn up his nose at this. The
> game will be to find appropriate vinification techniques to tame this
> grape, and Chrysalis seems to be on the right track.
>
> Nevertheless, a well-aged Norton exhibits some characteristics of
> Bordeaux. *It requires years of ageing, which is also a bummer for
> wineries which make it, but the glories of well-made, older Nortons
> can produce a unique tasting experience.
>
> If you find some at your local merchant's, give it a try. Norton is
> perfect with venison.
>
> --Bob- Hide quoted text -

I agree with the venison. Lamb is also one of my favorite Norton/
Cynthiana pairings. On a side note, I've taken lately to cynthiana
entirely because 'Norton' keeps reminding me of the 'Honeymooners'.

Also, since this has been a tight year for me, I've been drinking a
lot of Missouri chambourcin. St. James Winery's 2005 Chambourcin has
a heavy tannic structure with cocoa and tobacco in the nose. Great
for backyard BBQs and heavy drinking friends. Alcohol content about
%14. ;-)

Best regards,
Mark Sievert