Posted to alt.food.wine
Bobchai Bobchai is offline

Default New Norton/Cynthiana wine glass

On Sep 10, 12:52*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 10, 10:46*am, Mark E Sievert >
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...g-back-norton/

> > It has been a number of years since I've last posted here but the
> > miracle of DSL in my remote location allowed me to re-visit old
> > favorites that dial-up couldn't handle.

> > For those who are blinkingly trying to remember me, I was probably the
> > group's sole cheerleader for Missouri wine. *Yes, there is still a
> > vast quantity of labrusca plonk produced here, but the above article
> > link shows the seriousness of my home state's ability to produce good
> > wine.

> > Sincerely
> > Mark E Sievert

> Mark,
> welcome back, I do remember you. I don't see many Missouri wines, but
> liked a Missouri Norton a few years back

Dale:

Norton=Cynthiana

I have no experience with Missouri wines (well, Stone Hill once, maybe
ten years ago), but Norton/Cynthiana is alive and well in Virginia.
The owner of Chrysalis Vineyards has literally bet the farm on it;
most of her acreage is planted to this varietal, which is ideally
suited because this is where Norton originated.

As a sideline, she makes arguably the best viognier in North America,
and has some fabulous chardonnay, touriga nacional and cabernet franc.
But Norton is the main event, and I worry about the saleability
factor. However, nobody does it better.

Norton is one of the most difficult varietals in the world. It's a
native grape of North America, but it's not of the labrusca series;
it's its own species. There's none of the foxy aroma associated with
labrusca, but it's very weird.

It colors well, producing dense black wines like petite sirah. The
juice is red, which is unusual for most grapes. It has the most
unusual tannin structure I have ever encountered, just tangy, bizarre
and very "rustic". A Frenchman would turn up his nose at this. The
game will be to find appropriate vinification techniques to tame this
grape, and Chrysalis seems to be on the right track.

Nevertheless, a well-aged Norton exhibits some characteristics of
Bordeaux. It requires years of ageing, which is also a bummer for
wineries which make it, but the glories of well-made, older Nortons
can produce a unique tasting experience.

If you find some at your local merchant's, give it a try. Norton is
perfect with venison.

--Bob