Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Bobby Flay and barbeque

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message -

> One thing that is immediately apparent is how small they are
> compared to
> most commercial aircraft today.

As a kid, they looked huge.

> One of the thrills as a kid eating in Joe Gilberts was the
> Connies pulling
> up practically to the window at eye level, as they loaded on
> food from the
> restaurant. In those days, you got good food on a plane!
>
> I don't remember a lot about that era of air travel because I
> was pretty
> young, but I do recall developing a preference for riding in a
> Connie over a
> DC3... not just because it was so much cooler to look at, but
> because the
> wings of a DC3 tended to flap in a very disturbing manner.

I was a grade schooler in the mid 50's. In the 4th grade, there
was a family emergency with some relatives in PA, so we flew TWA
out of KC on a Connie. It was my first ride in any airplane, and
since I was fascinated with a Connie anyway, it was quite
memorable. There were white cloths on the seatbacks and the very
well dressed stewardesses would make hot chocolate for kids, on
request. Eating on the plane was beyond words for its 'coolness.'

Nowadays, a flight on a plane is about as exciting (hopefully) as
driving to the grocery store, but back then it was quite an
adventure.

--
Nonny

The best part of the Cash for Clunkers