Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Bobby Flay and barbeque

On 7-Sep-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Nonny wrote:
>
> >..... What I was
> > attempting to get at in my post last night was whether Bobby Flay
> > was grossly wrong when he 1) talked about basting ribs with spicy
> > vinegar in East NC, and whether 2) your interpretation of classic
> > Western NC (Lexington) style typically included a sweet sauce,
> > like we had in MO. I disagreed with Bobby Flay, but wondered if
> > others did as well.

> I have eaten at a couple of Bobby Flay's restaurants and I think he is a
> pretty competent chef (yes, Bobby doesn't actually work as a chef in his
> places, but many of the recipes and menu selections are his). I also
> think
> that he was wrong about his information regarding NC bbq. I think he got
> Memphis-style bbq mixed up with either the western or eastern NC styles.
>
> --
> Dave

You have to watch Bobby Flay very carefully. He is very good at creating
controversy about a particulary type of food and thus heightened awareness
of same. In my opinion, his greatest contribution to the world of food is
his
advocacy and illumination of regional cuisines. And I sure as hell wouldn't
challenge Bobby Flay to a throwdown if I had my money on the outcome.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)