Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Bobby Flay and barbeque

"Craig Watts" > wrote in
message news:B-->
> I believe they closed their Waverly Place (Cary) location and
> moved into the brick building spot across from NC State where
> Darrel's used to be.

Darrel's is one of the most stupid moves a corporation could have
made. When Thad Eure had it, the places were jumping and going
strong. Then, Gilbert Robinson bought it. Some cretin in KC
decided that they'd change the menu, put baggy clothes on the
girls, put controls on the barkeeps and take down the eclectic
decorations. Yup: buy a place for its business and then change
it into a politically correct feed box. I don't know if you
recall that they had nachos in the bar area, but one big decision
GR made was to drop them, since people were eating them and not
going to the restaurant and getting menu items.

Back then, the gals in the place were young and wore tight jeans
or shorts. After the GR "experience," they were old and wore
loose Politically Correct slacks or skirts. Drinks were a full
glass and after GR, they were computer measured to the nearest
1/100th of an ounce.

Business dropped off incredibly, and then they scraped the paint
off the window to lighten the "atmosphere." Soon, they lost all
semblance of their ambiance, along with all their patrons. I
recall when the one on Falls of Neuse closed, after a sad attempt
at selling catfish.

We used to love Darrel's, and I wrote GR a long, 3-4 page letter
detailing what they'd done wrong and what they should do. I got
back a nice letter from some Sr. VP saying that they'd just paid
$45k to a consultant to tell them the same thing. By then,
however, it was too late. What a stupid, stupid waste.

--
Nonny

Our nation should be more like Illinois
and limit all politicians to just TWO terms:
One in office and the second in prison.