Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Bobby Flay and barbeque

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Nanzi wrote:
>
>> Hey Nonny, go to cooking.comforums and to the BBq and outdoor
>> cooking
>> section. There was a long post about the diff bbq's and the
>> differences in them. It was very interesting to us and quite
>> informative. Nowhere did I read about boiling ribs, but it did
>> discuss
>> the differences in NC BBq.

> Here's a sight that I've had bookmarked for a while that goes
> into some stuff related directly to NC bbq.
> http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/lex.htm
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven
> before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Thanks to both for the replies. Dave Lineback's probably the top
source for NC BBQ, and I remember well when he was building Wilbur
1.0, getting his cast iron doors cast etc. Back then, I had my
own laid up pit and did 'Q over preburn as well. What I was
attempting to get at in my post last night was whether Bobby Flay
was grossly wrong when he 1) talked about basting ribs with spicy
vinegar in East NC, and whether 2) your interpretation of classic
Western NC (Lexington) style typically included a sweet sauce,
like we had in MO. I disagreed with Bobby Flay, but wondered if
others did as well.

Looking over the recipes Dave has on his site shows that yes,
there are 1-2 that might have a sweeter flavor than most, but the
majority are as I recall. Personally, I've never used a spicy
vinegar before or during cooking ribs; they get a dry rub, get
slow smoked and the people then decide what to put on them. When
we had a group of AF guys here last fall, I put out a huge stack
of ribs and had 3-4 sauces for them to choose between. Since I
personally do not like the mustard-type sauces, my selection
included KC Masterpiece, Hunts and a couple of my own design- one
with honey and the other molasses.

IMHO, the vinegar sauce is a finishing sauce to put on fried
gizzards, livers, occasionally chicken and always on pulled pork.

As for my comment about the Lexington style ribs, I was being a
bit sarcastic, I admit. Looking over Dave Lineback's recipes
again, I see only one that would be called mildly sweet. IMHO,
Bobby Flay didn't have a clue about the types of barbecue in NC,
and confused the Lexington version of Western NC with the good
stuff from MO. He never even mentioned the dry ribs from TN that
we so enjoy here at the house, either.

--
Nonny

Our nation should be more like Illinois
and limit all politicians to just TWO terms:
One in office and the second in prison.