Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Bobby Flay and barbeque

I was channel surfing the other day when Flay was having a
throwdown with a fellow from Raleigh NC. I never saw how it
ended, but the NC guy sure sounded like he knew his business. We
lived there for years, and since I'd not heard of him or his
place, it must have opened after we departed.

Anyway, the one portion of the show I saw that bothered me was
Bobby's depiction of NC with a line through it separating it into
Eastern style and Lexington style. When he described the Eastern
style, it looked like they were brushing the vinegar based mop
onto ribs. That sure isn't how I did them and not how I'm used to
seeing them. Also, when he described the Western style (called
Lexington style), he spoke of a sweet sauce, aka KC style. Again
that isn't the way I recollect Lexington style to be.

The times I have Lexington style barbecue, I didn't enjoy it. The
ribs I had that were supposed to be so good were essentially ribs
that were cut up individually or in small groups and literally
cooked in a pot with a tomato soup-like sauce. Jeez- if I'd
served that to my family I'd have been slapped into a cheap
nursing home before I was even retired.

Can someone "in the know" please comment about 1) do you put the
spicy vinegar on ribs? and 2) what is Lexington style barbecue? I
have my own opinions, but want to hear from others.

--
Nonny

Our nation should be more like Illinois
and limit all politicians to just TWO terms:
One in office and the second in prison.